Bro. Archie Miller
Committed to Excellence in Communicating Biblical Truth and it’s Application!
Worship The LORD
Psalm 96:9 (TLB)
9 Worship the Lord with the beauty of holy lives. Let the earth tremble before him.
After visiting churches in many parts of the world, author Philip Yancey asked, “Why do so few Christians appear to be enjoying themselves in their worship?” The question is worth our attention. For while worship is considered to be a form of work (liturgia = work), it was always intended to be the highest form of work, an exhilarating, renewing form of labor that leaves people filled, not depleted, renewed, not more deeply trapped in dissatisfaction, more internally certain, not confused.
Writing on Worship and Evangelism, Gordon MacDonald (well known pastor, professor and author) says:
* Worship should draw a sharp contrast between the kingdom of this world and the Kingdom of Heaven.
* Worship should focus on the Living God and His revelation of Himself as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
* Worship should bring to our consciousness the acts and the character of God.
* Worship should call the worshipper to repentance -
* Worship should cause the worshipper to inventory his/her benefits in life and give thanks.
* Worship should provide a chance for one to see her/his work in the perspective of the Kingdom and give from the profits of labor.
* Worship should make the worshipper feel prayed for in terms of personal needs.
* Worship should refine the perspective of people so that they see and pray for world events in light of God’s purposes for His Kingdom.
* Worship should offer encouragement and insight from the preached Word.
* Worship should send people back into the “streets” of the world with a renewed sense of energy, confidence and purpose.
I wonder if you, the assembly of the LORD here in Orcutt, feel that urge to share with neighbor, friend, and acquaintance, the Worship of the Lord with the beauty of holy lives?
Dr. Archie Miller, D.PTh.